Tuesday 2 October 2007

New Camera!

Today my new camera came :-)

As you can't take a picture of a camera without another camera (which I'm still lacking) I pinched this one from the net:

It's the Olympus E500, my first Digital SLR. Luckily it arrived at my work while Nathalie and Michelle were both there - they are photo pros and were able to explain to me all the tricky stuff (like how to put the lens on ;-))

The course is going to be fantastic - I'm working through the first week's assignments including the Flickr task. Below are a few of the shots I found to comment on.

We had to pick photos that we found particularly striking - they could be anything. As I mentioned before, I am discovering definite things I like to see in photos. I like B&W, very minimalistic photos (think the opposite of those Impossibles puzzles), close ups of flowers and foliage and shoes. Well I never denied that I like shoes.

I think the thing I like most about these two photos is the fact that the legs are disembodied. They came from different photographers in a random browsing session but both focus on a body part which is often passed over in favour of faces and torsos. They are both taken at quite odd angles - standing on the desk and lying prone. Not quite where you'd expect to see legs.

This is the kind of minimalistic picture I am growing to love. In fact, thinking back, it's quite similar to an oil painting I bought once in Thailand and never got around to framing. I like the way there's the merest hint of buildings peeping through the mist at the back.

The obligatory flower close-up. I'm not sure I like the two black fields on the left - one would probably be better, less symmetry.

Once it stops raining I'll take the camera out and get to work on the main assignment.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could put one of my lawn bowls in a pile of wool and call it Bowl in a Yarn
Am up to speed, have Googleearthed your new home and downloaded the pics off the realestate add. Big lounge!!!!
Love DaD.

Anonymous said...

hehe :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm very jealous of your beautiful new camera! I've been lusting after similar cameras for a while now, but can't justify the money, especially after just buying a new computer and tyres for the car!
I'll be keeping up more with your blogging etc now I'm on maternity leave. Have fun!
Cherie.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to turn you green - but I will point out that this is sooo not a 'new' camera. I got it second-hand in a very good deal - could never have afforded it otherwise ;-)

But it feels new :-D