Thursday 25 October 2007

Shutter Speeds 3

Night shooting was the final part of the shutter speeds exploration - I don't think I'm going to get to doing water as I really need to get on to week four.

Last night I got to the bus stop quite late after work and looked up the river to the most awesome light display. I hung around for about 15 mins experimenting with different ISOs, apertures and shutter speeds.
400 10" f/22

On this one I bumped the camera a bit which elongated the lights - I like it though.

320 10" f/22

I found I wasn't getting any noise even at high ISOs but then I wasn't going for super-long exposure. I was aiming to reproduce what I was seeing rather than brighten up the scene.

One of the activity tutorials for week four was playing around with layers and blur effects to reproduce extreme focal lengths. This was my experiment:

The original photograph was sharp - taken on macro, indoors with flash. I created a duplicate layer and then blurred it to a factor of six, then erased one pair of needle tops to allow the sharp image to show through.

The tutorial recommended using a wide brush for the eraser - I discovered that I could pump this up nice and high to make the job go faster. I also discovered that turning off the background layer made it much easier to see any bits I'd missed. Cool huh!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Wow. It all sounds very technical but it works. :-) Can't wait to see more yarny pics!

Debs said...

Brilliant that you're keeping up your blog. I like the photo of the lights and the depth of field chot is great too. Are you still enjoying the course? Debbie