Tuesday 23 October 2007

Shutter Speeds

I took the camera out on my way to work this morning to have a play with shutter speeds - it was so much fun!

At first I had no idea - thank goodness for unlimited digital 'film' - and got lots of blurry bits where I hadn't intended them. But in a while I started getting the hang of it all. I set the camera to 'S' (for shutter) and let the F-stop take care of itself.

Bike 1/4 f/22

Playing around with speeds I found that (not surprisingly) different speeds gave good results depending on whether I was photographing a car/motorbike or a bicycle. But the speed did not have to vary much at all.

Car 1/4 f/22

I also had a go at panning, which was MUCH harder, and did manage to get one or two clear shots eventually.

Scooter 1/15 f/10

From the bridge I played around a bit more with shutter and aperture taking pictures against the sun but I don't have time to upload them now - I'll get to that in the next post.

Btw, all today's shots were taken at ISO 100 which, in hindsight, I probably should have changed due to the bright sunshine - anyone tell me what it should have been? I haven't got my head quite around it all yet ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ISO 100 did give your shots some wonderful rich colour, like the top one. Am I right in remembering that ISO has something to do with the colour or light saturation?

Film manufacturers tend to tell you that you'd want about ISO 200 for bright sunshine. Some film manufacturers tell you in bright sunshine you'll want as high as 400, which I used to find a little too much. But that's just me.